Search

Lync Phone Edition with Office 365 Calendar Not Functioning–SOLVED

Posted 4 years 70 days ago ago by Christian Burke     0 Comments

0 Loved it Love It Hate It

I recently deployed a Lync 2013 Enterprise with Enterprise Voice On-Premises connected to Office 365 Exchange Online for Email, Voicemail – the whole Unified Messaging experience.  In all honesty, it’s probably the way 80% of our customers, big and small, will be going in the next few years.  This deployment also utilizes Lync Phone Edition phones including Polycom CX700, CX600, HP4120, and a couple of Lync Compatible phones mixed in as well like Polycom VVX500 and Snom 821.

Deploying these phones knowing about limitations in SSL certificate storage and other nuances, I was excited to ultimately get them to function perfectly – complete with calendaring, call logs, Lync contacts, etc.  They are fully deployed.  Awesome.

My customer calls yesterday and says ‘I’ve had enough!  I need your help!”  For some reason, the calendaring, call logs, etc on the LPE devices was no longer working.  Of course, my first question was, ‘What did you change?”  And like usual, the answer was, “nothing!”

TROUBLESHOOTING 101

  • SSL – LPE devices are very sensitive about Root Certificates.  They can only utilize the the default Root Certs that come with the device and ONE MORE Root, like from your Internal CA, and that’s it.  If you have an Internal CA for Lync and an Internal CA for Exchange, you’re bummed.  They need to come from the same place.  The exception is of course if you have a Public Root for Exchange, or in my case Exchange Online, which comes from a Public Root that’s already on the phone.



    In the case of the CX700, I  wiped the phone with the pinhole in the back, went through the multiple firmware upgrade process that you have to go through for that phone only (damn Tanjay), and got the rev back to 4397.  Nope, problem still there.
  • DNS/DHCP – I checked to see if Exchange autodiscover was still valid and working, which was pointing via SRV to a CNAME entry in the local domain zone to the autodiscover.outlook.com FQDN for Exchange Online.  DHCP was still working fine too.
  • LPE Logs – If any of you know what a pain these things are, this is usually my last choice, but also the choice that gets results.  And, yes, I found the problem and the solution here.

LPE LOGS

  • First you have to have somehow found a copy of readlog.exe.  The LPE devices output a clg1 file that needs to be converted into something like a CSV file for reading.  The only conversion tool out there is readlog.exe.  It is tough to find.  If you can’t find it and you need it, add a comment below and I will get you a copy.  It’s a little 100k file but works great.  Here is the detail of the file.

image

  • Next comes the game of generating logs on the LPE device.  This is a combination of the phone, the Lync 2013 Control Panel, and generating/converting logs into the clg1 files for conversion by readlog.
  • First, in the Lync 2013 Control Panel, you must navigate to Clients > Device Configuration and set the Logging Level to HIGH.  Setting the Logging Level to Medium or Low will not produce the data you need in the logs to solve certain problems.  Trust me, I tried.  The amount of data that comes out of the HIGH log is about 11,000 lines of Excel spreadsheet code for just a boot up process.  But, it’s the only level that gives the detail you need.

image

  • On the LPE device side, do the same.  On my CX700, it looks like this: